Monday, January 25, 2010

When you close your eyes at night...


When you close your eyes at night...

What do you hear?

Do you hear the cars outside? Maybe  you hear the birds singing because, like me, you have stayed up so late it´s almost morning. (I haven´t done this in a while though) Maybe, you hear your hubby watching football or your dog whining to go out.

I sometimes close my eyes and review my day, and what goes through my mind isn´t so pretty. I hear my whiney, naggy voice after having to tell the boys what to do all day long. I hear my snappy voice telling my dear sweet husband things I have to do for the day. I hear myself stressed and tired.

This is not a pleasent, before bed, snack, that´s for sure. For a long time, I have been praying for a meek and quiet spirit. You know the one that 1 Peter 3:3-4 talks about.

"Whose adorning  let it not be that outward adorning...but let it be the hidden man of the heart,... even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."
This New Years, I wrote out a daily prayer to pray for victory in this area of my life. That the words that come out of my mouth may be pleasent and sweet. May those closest to me, like being around me.

Instead of pushing them away with short words, I want to draw them close with dear sweet affection. Of course this does not mean I don´t discipline, and I am praying for wisdom in knowing how to be firm yet loving with my boys. (Especially with my youngest who has a switch to turn off my voice, sweet or snappy)

How do you demonstrate in your home a meek and quiet spirit?

Spirit in the Bible means attitude. My prayer is to make my home sing with my sweet attitude. Nothing is impossible for God. I want to claim victory in this area daily.






Posted especially for Making Your Home Sing Monday.

Making your home sing Mondays

9 comments:

  1. What a sweet post - I hear that in my heart and head, too - and it's a beautiful prayer to pray... It's so hard to die to self sometimes, but God gives grace... What a way to make our homes sing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I can relate so well to desiring that meek and gentle spirit in my life and especially in my home. Thanks for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thanks for sharing your heart and prayers.

    Dying to self - not easy but definitely full of rewards! Oh, to have a meek and quiet spirit all day and through all circumstances.
    blessings,
    ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, hubby didn't seem to mind. He just shook his head and laughed. I suppose he'd mind if I did that every week though, lol!

    I too pray for that meek and quiet spirit. The nice thing is that it doesn't mean personality so it is something that we all can have.

    It also doesn't depend on me, although I have to do my part. The more I draw near to my Lord the more I will grow to be like Him and have that attitude that I desire so much. Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Dani...I know what you mean!! I, too can be short and snappy. I know that I have the power to encourage or break them down. It's only with the Lord that we can have that quiet and gentle spirit!!!

    I'll be praying for you, as I pray this for myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing worse than a day like that...I suspect those feelings are why we find ourselves having trouble falling to sleep in the first place. Wisdom only comes when we become quiet enough to listen...definitely my challenge. Thanks for a terrific post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Contreras,
    Not sure if you rememebr me (2nd oldest of the Jenkins clan), but I just wanted to say you are a great encouragement to me. I find myself being short and snappy to my two little boys more often then naught...your post today re-emphasized my need to keep a sweet, happy spirit, tired or not, for my husband and boys.
    Thanks!

    BTW, I still think of you everytime I hear the song from Glad, "You put this love in my heart" =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh sweet friend....God knows your heart.....He knows...

    I so love you and am so there with you.....

    I miss you so VERY much! It's been since June....that's TOO long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my friend....I have not been meek and quiet lately. ughhh. I've been a bundle of nerves and too many things on my "to do" list. It's so hard sometimes, isn't it.

    I think you are a wonderful and loving mom!! We all have our days of short words. It's realizing it that is so awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear encouraging comments that uplift Christ and boost our daily walk with Him! Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read everyone of them and try to always respond at your blog, too.