Friday, December 11, 2009

Prayer Card Memory Lane

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about my family´s journey to Spain and our time here. I guess that´s why when I went scouring through my pictures for Friday Photo Flashback, our very first prayer card caught my eye.

Spring 1998




It was special for many reasons. One, My hubby and I were in our first or second year of marriage, newly weds really. Second, We were finally getting ready to head out on the deputation trail after talking about it for almost 3 years.


I remember buying this purple dress especially for our prayer card. Why I didn´t even think to have my hair done I will never know. I must not have been too concerned about hair styles back then. My word, what a tom boy I was!


I remember having to do two sittings to get the picture right, and look I am still closing my eyes! GRief! We handed this prayer card out to many churches in Texas and New Mexico. Then our first son was born so we thankfully did another card.


We have since had three more prayer cards made. Our last one being my favorite. I included them all just for reference.

January 1999



Spring 2004



Fall 2008


Even though I miss my extended family so much, I love Spain! It has become my home. My boys even say they are Spanish. My youngest just yesterday said, "Mommy, I am glad I am Spanish."

I had to tell him that he is really only American and doesn´t have a Spanish passport. He continued to insist that he was Spanish, but I took the opportunity to share with him how special he was to be able to belong to two countries. We just wish the world was a little smaller.

Hope you enjoy my little walk down memory lane.
Happy Friday!



15 comments:

  1. Wow, Dani! Those are all great cards! Do you mail those out to your family too? I would love one if you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great prayer cards. Every time we did a prayer card, I found out I was pregnant the week we had the picture taken. So our prayer cards were always one kid behind. I finally told my husband I wouldn't do another one because I didn't want to get pregnant again. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bueno! Those are great prayer cards. Are you guys part of IMB or Awana...if so I can use them in my awana's group (I hate my church is so regulated...) even if you're not...I can use them upstairs with the youth...and I'm laughing at the first photo...I have a picture of my husband and I around that time and I had a similar dress on...hilarious...you have improved with age...and you have lost some pounds too? I think? Still struggling...this is the hard time of year for me since it's around my mom's death anniversary...but we are victors in Christ...so I'm trying not to be sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how beautiful! I am glad to have found your blog and will be praying for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to look back!! I liked the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a Beautiful memory!!
    I love all of them!
    Have a Blessing Weekend!
    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are all so good! I love watching the family progression.
    BTW, we started deputation in 1998 and arrived here in Croatia in 2000.
    What about you, seems like we have the same time table going, except for children, mine were 2, 4 and 7 when we arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to see your prayer cards!

    We once had a missionary family on furlough come through the church my husband pastored in Georgia. They had a prayer card that on the back had small pictures of their prayer cards over the years. They were veteran missionaries and had photos from before kids, as they had several kids, as the kids grew and how the family "shrunk" as each kid left the nest, and then lastly, them AGAIN without kids.....it was so cool to see!

    I can visualize your prayer card in another 20 years...being something like that!

    Have a great day...it's so pretty here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved looking at those pictures.....it's fun to see how y'all changed.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...I wouldn't recognize you from those cards. You sure have changed.

    Blessings to you and your family this Christmas season, dear friend!!

    Love,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the fitness offer...I will take you up on this...my email is islandlorrie@gmail.com. Please delete it once you read this. blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww! Those are great to see.

    My children insist they are Canadian... I just let them think it, and tell them they were born in the U.S. This seems the best route, as many Canadians don't like Americans. They feel kind of like they take a backseat to the U.S. This can be a touchy subject here:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the little prayer card walk down memory lane! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    I haven't died, not did I gain 10 pounds...just wanted to let you know. I have completely lost track of my point though. I did eat salad every day last week for lunch and I exercised for at least four of those days. That had to make up for the cinnamon rolls I made. ;-)

    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your hair and your pictures are awesome! How your little ones have grown!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This made my day. I wish I was as good as you are about getting pictures so well organized. Thanks for sharing.

    xoxo,
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear encouraging comments that uplift Christ and boost our daily walk with Him! Thanks for taking the time to comment! I read everyone of them and try to always respond at your blog, too.